Pages

Friday, March 18, 2011

Pot Roast


It's Friday!!!  I had an incredibly long week.  And we are having a couple of people over tonight so, I decided to make a pot roast because it is so easy and delicious!  Pot roast is by far one of my favorite dishes.  My family has always used the Lipton Beefy Onion Soup mix, but a few months ago I decided to be creative and I am so happy that I did.








Ingredients:
3 1/2 pound roast
1 tbsp olive oil
salt
pepper
italian seasoning
1 large yellow onion, sliced or chopped
4 cloves of garlic peeled
1/2 cup cooking Red Wine
Carrots, peeled and sliced length wise

Directions:

1. Season the meat with the salt, pepper and Italian seasoning.  This can be as little or as much as you would like.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet.
3. Sear roast on all sides, for several minutes.  Do not move meat while it is browning on one side or else it won't brown right.
4. In your crock pot, or dutch oven, add onions, carrots, and garlic.  Place roast on top of onions and garlic.
5. Pour in the red wine
6.  Cook for about 4 hours, or however long you want.  I allow mine to slowly cook all day while I am at work, which was 10 hours today.

I don't have that large of a crock pot or I would have also cut up red skinned potatoes.  I made mashed potatoes since I didn't have the room.  I learned a trick from a cooking show once that if you put the veggies under the meat they will stay firmer, so that is what I do.  Everyone always raves over this whenever I make it.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment