Pages

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Pistachio Lime Cookies

I had a bunch of limes left over from dinner last night (they are not in season here so I had to buy a bag of them instead of individually) and decided to try this recipe I found at foodnetwork.com

Ingredients

3 c sugar
1/2 c lime zest (about 6-8 limes)
4 1/2 c flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 c (4sticks) unsalted butter cut into 1-inch cubes, chilled
6 oz shelled pistachios
5 egg yolks (trick for this: make sure the egg is cold and crack the egg in your hand and let the yolk run through your fingers, feels gross but it works. I got this tip from a friend of mine who use to own a bakery)
2 tsp vanilla extract, I always use pure never imitation. I have also recently discovered vanilla paste. Delicious!
1/8 tsp almond extract
3/4 c fresh lime juice (there is nothing I hate more than zesting and juicing limes or lemons but fresh is so much better than bottled!)

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350° F, after I made them and then just re-read this you could probably wait to turn the oven on until the bowl as been in the fridge for 15 minutes.

2.In a food processor add sugar and zest. Process until well mixed. Remove 1/2 c mixture and put in a bowl. Scrape the rest of the mixture into a large bowl.

3. Add flour, baking soda and salt into food processor and pulse briefly. Add cold butter and 3 oz of pistachios. Process with short pulses until mixture resembles cornmeal and no large lumps of butter remaining. Add remaining pistachios and mix briefly. Pour this into the large bowl with sugar mixture, set aside.

4. In a medium bowl mix egg yolks, vanilla extract, almost extract and lime juice.

5. Using an electric mixer combine the sugar and flour mixtures, mix for about 15 seconds on a low setting. Keeping the mixer on and slowly add the egg mixture and mix well until combined and dough pulls away from the sides of the b

6. Refrigerate until cold but not solid, about 30 minutes. Use an ice cream scoop to scoop the dough onto parchment-lined cookie sheets. Take the dough balls and roll the tops into the reserved sugar mix. Use the bottom of a water glass to press the cookies until about 1/4 inch flat. *Tip when rolling cookie dough into balls or pressing with a glass dip your hands/the bottom of the glass into powder sugar (kind of like flour with rolls), this will prevent the dough from getting sticky.* Bake the cookies until slightly browned, about 15 minutes. Remove parchment paper with the cookies still on them from the cookie sheet and place a cooling rack to cool.

I didn't have the best of luck with these. First, it was quite the process!!!! Zesting a bunch of limes, then squeezing even more limes and lastly shelling a million pistachios!!! Oy!! The prep definitely took much longer than I thought. I usually save the stuff that takes longer and involves more prep for the weekends.

Then, I accidentally added the egg mixture right when I combined the flour and sugar mixtures. Right after I had done it I realized the mistake. I also made them too big on the first batch and too thin. Roll them to about the size of a walnut and press them to be about 1/2 an inch not 1/4. The last mistake I made was I did not mix the dough long enough. They are very thin, and this is not the recipes fault but actually my own fault. I didn't mix it up right or long enough and that can cause tons of issues!! I have had one of those days today. I should have gone with my gut feeling and made lime bars!

However, they taste delicious!! Very buttery and warm. Great combination of flavors, unlike any cookie I have ever had. I guess that makes up for them maybe not looking the greatest!!  I will definitely be making these again.

Here are some pictures:
Before putting them in the oven
When they were done baking.





1 comment: