Pages

Monday, May 2, 2011

Pepper-Crusted Tenderloin Steak With A Creamy Mushroom Marsala Sauce

I recently got the cook book "Rachael Ray's Book of 10" and I love it!  I decided that I wanted to cook a really nice meal that is unlike something I have had in the past.  I saw this recipe and just had to make it!  It looks so good, and was fairly simple.  However, just a heads up beef tenderloin steaks are expensive.












Ingredients:
4 (1 inch thick, 3 to 4 inch round) beef tenderloin steaks. (I told the butcher this and they got it for me, pretty sure mine were more than 3-4 inches around but we had left overs so it was all good)
2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
Course black pepper, about 4-5 tsp
2 tbsp. butter
6 white mushroom caps thinly sliced
1/3 c Marsala cooking wine
3/4 c heavy cream
Chopped parsley leaves, or chives for garnish if desired.

Directions:
1.  Pull the meat out of the fridge and set on a plate on the counter for 15-20 minutes to take the chill off.  I never knew that this was something that was so important but it allows the meat to be cooked to the desired temperature without burning or cooking unevenly.
2.  Put 2 tbsp. of EVOO in a large skillet over a med-high to high heat and the 2 tbsp of butter in a medium skillet over a medium heat.
3.  Pour course pepper on a plate.  When EVOO is smoking press one side of meat into the pepper and put the steak into the skillet pepper side down.  Cook this for 4-5 minutes, flip to other side and cook for additional 5 minutes for a medium temperature.  I cooked mine for another 1 minute to get it closer to a medium medium-well.
4.  When the butter is melted saute mushrooms for about 5 minutes, until cooked.  Add Marsala and simmer to reduce liquid in half.  Slowly stir in cream.  Bring to a simmer, reduce heat and allow sauce to thicken.  Spoon sauce over steak.

No comments:

Post a Comment