Pages

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Shredded Chicken Fajitas


This week I am doing multiple dishes in my crock pot!  Plus, today I am cooking my first whole chicken!! (5 years ago this never would have happened, ask my grandma she has some stories about me and touching raw meat or de-boning chicken)

I started out by cooking the chicken in the crock pot.  I added one can of Swanson Chicken Broth, 2 cloves of garlic, some onion powder and a bay leaf.  I knew I was going to be using this chicken for other things throughout the week, and decided those ingredients would give it a good flavor.  I put all of this in the crock pot, along with a 4 1/2 lb chicken.  I put the crock pot on low and let it cook all day for about 8 hours.  We then shredded the chicken.  I used 12 oz of chicken for the fajitas and the rest went into a container then in the fridge.

In order to make the chicken spicy for fajitas I put the chicken in a medium saute pan then I added my taco seasoning recipe, I saved some (about 1/2 a tbsp) of the seasoning to be added to the veggies.



Ingredients:

1 tbsp chili powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp paprika
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp black pepper


I also added about 1/2 cup of water, a can of peeled chopped green chilis and let it all simmer. While cooking the veggies.



In a large saute pan I added 1-2 tbsp olive oil, 1 large green pepper cut into strips, 1 large red pepper cut into strips, 1/2 a large yellow onion cut into strips, and the taco seasoning I left out of the chicken.  Cooked it until the the veggies were soft and delicious!

Then I heated up some fajita shells in the microwave, putting a moist paper towel in between each shell.  Served with salsa, sour cream, refried beans, and cheese.

This was so good!!!  The best part of this blog is trying some new foods.  The chicken turned out great!  I used a crock pot liner, so clean up was super easy.  I was afraid this was going to take a while to make, it took just about as long as making tacos (once the chicken was cooked and cleaned) but tasted so much better!!



No comments:

Post a Comment