Pages

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Beef Chili


Chili is my all time comfort food! It is one of those things that I could have anytime of year. It is also a dish that allows multiple variations and so there is never one exact recipe to follow. Whenever I make Chili I make it in the morning and then transfer it from a big stew pot into my slow cooker and let all the flavors slowly absorb into one another.







Ingredients:
1 lb hamburger
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
2 16 oz cans kidney beans, drained
1 28 oz can tomato puree
1/2 large yellow onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1-2 cloves minced garlic
Chili Powder
Ground Red Pepper
Chipotle Chili Powder
Brown sugar

Instructions:

1. Brown hamburger in a large pot, or stew pot.
2. Add everything but the seasonings, and brown sugar. Bring to a soft boil.
3. I add the seasonings per taste. I add the ground red pepper until there is almost enough heat and then had only maybe 1/4 tsp of the chipotle chili powder (this stuff brings a lot of heat so be careful), then add enough chili powder until I think it tastes good. If the acid is to much I add brown sugar, one tbsp at a time until it tastes right. Everyone has different tastes on spiciness, so its hard to exactly measure out what to do. That is one of the great things about Chili, follow this basic recipe and you can't really mess it up.


No comments:

Post a Comment