Pages

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Boston Baked Beans

I have been trying to use my crock pot more and also make more from scratch foods.  We recently grilled out and I decided that it would be amazing to have some homemade baked beans, and boy was I right!!  I found this recipe online a while ago and decided that I would finally try it.











Ingredients:
3 can of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 medium yellow onion finely chopped, I used my food processor to cut them up
1/4 c molasses, **trick: if you spray your measure cup with Pam when measuring honey, molasses or anything thing sticky it will come out cleaner and won't be such a pain to rinse out the measuring cup.**
1/2 c brown sugar, I used light
1/3 c ketchup
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp dried mustard
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 lb of bacon

Directions:
1. Add all ingredients except bacon into a crock pot, stir.
2.  Lay bacon on top, it should cover the beans.
3.  Cook on low for 8-9 hours, or on high for 4-5 hours.  I did high for 4 hours and low for 2.
4. When done stir up, breaking up bacon as stirring.

This was incredibly easy to make and very good!  I am not a huge fan of baked beans because first there is always to much sauce and the get runny, and secondly because the beans get so soft and mushy.  With this recipe I was able to control how soft the beans got and they were not runny at all.  A very thick sauce ,very flavorful.  I will definitely be making these for cookouts or family reunions!

No comments:

Post a Comment