Pages

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Baked Chicken Tenders


I have a fairly decent number of cookbooks and recipes.  I have a recipe box jammed pack of recipes from family members, and I am constantly googling new recipes and thinking of ways that I can make them my own.  I love to cook, hence the reason for this blog, but I do not consider myself a good cook.  I can take a recipe follow it to the "t" and it will taste good.  Recently, I have been trying to make alterations to different recipes, whether they are minor or major.  With my love of cooking also comes my love of food.  And as we all know loving food can turn into a very bad thing very quickly.  Well, one of the recipe books I have is "Low-Fat, Low-Cholesterol Cookbook" by the American Heart Association.  I got this book a few years ago.  It is filled with great tasting recipes as well as some great tips on how to make recipes better for you and your heart.  This recipe for Baked Chicken comes from this cook book.  I cut the chicken into little tenders so it would cook faster.  It's absolutely delicious.  I hate the term "low fat" because it can mean artificial sweeteners, or not flavor (especially when buying frozen meals).  Food is meant to be good.  We should enjoy what we are eating.  If I do not enjoy what I am eating I will not eat, and that is not very good whatsoever.  The thing I love about this cookbook is that all the recipes I have tried are very good, which is very important.  Here is a simple, easy, and healthier version of baked chicken.  I hope you all enjoy it.



Ingredients:
Vegetable oil spray
4 c cornflakes, lightly-moderately crushed
1-2 cloves garlic crushed, or 1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp salt
pepper to taste
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into tender pieces

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.  Lightly spray a baking sheet with vegetable oil spray.
2. In a bowl combine cornflakes and garlic.
3. In a small bowl coming ginger, paprika, salt, and pepper.  Sprinkle the seasoning on both sides of the chicken.
4. Roll the chicken in the cornflakes, lightly pressing the chicken and the cornflakes together.  Lightly spray the chicken on all sides with vegetable oil spray and put on the prepared baking sheet.
5. Bake for 45 minutes, or until the chicken is golden brown, tender and no longer pink in the center.


Delicious!!  We had broccoli and mashed potatoes with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment